Monday, April 21, 2008

TED Conference - A Stroke of Insight

Recently, I was on Towleroad and I came across a video of a woman named Jill Bolte Taylor. She was giving a talk at a conference called TED. As someone who prides himself of knowing quite a bit of what is happening in the world and on the web, I was quite shocked that I had not heard of TED. I was immediately curious to see Jill speak, as well as learn of this TED Conference, what it's about and the implications of this far reaching conference for our collective future.

I believe that what happens at the TED conference is clearly one of the most exciting and positive things that is happening in America (and the world for that matter) today. From their site, TED.com, I will provide their summary of what they are about:

"TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader. The annual conference now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes).

This site makes the best talks and performances from TED available to the public, for free. More than 200 talks from our archive are now available, with more added each week. These videos are released under a Creative Commons license, so they can be freely shared and reposted."

Of the hundreds of talks posted, the one that still moves me the most is by Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain researcher and Neuro Anatomist from Harvard University. Her talk is about a stroke that she had and the subsequent experiences that she went through. The implications of her experience span so many critically important topics of how our brain works, the nature of how we experience the world and touches upon elements of spirituality and potentially the future of the human race if we are to live in a peaceful world. I still watch Jill's talk every night to inspire me and remind me how to use the gift of my right brain in a way that is most positive for my life moving forward. Jill's talk follows. Do take the 20 minutes to watch.... its an unforgettable experience:


Sphere: Related Content

No comments: